Shirley Chisholm 50th Anniversary Tik-Tok Challenge
January 25, 2022 will mark the 50th anniversary of the late-Hon. Shirley Chisholm’s announcement of her run for the president of the U.S.
As you know, Ms. Chisholm was:
- The first Black woman in Congress (1968)
- The first woman to seek the presidential nomination on the Democratic party ticket (not Hillary Clinton as most were led to believe.)
- The first Black to seek the nomination on a major party ticket
- The National Organization of Women (NOW)
- The Congressional Women Caucus
- The Congressional Black Caucus
The yearlong celebration will include a Tik Tok challenge. As you know, Ms. Chisholm changed the narrative of American politics to include aid for children and rights for women and people of color. The theme is taken from one of many quotable quotes, “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.”
Yes, the article was heavy and went deep.
So, I thought I would share this recipe that appeared in the 1908 edition of the New York Times.
The recipe is inspired by Jamaica’s classic Planter’s Punch Recipe.
Ingredients – (A measure is usually a cup or 8oz)
One measure of Sour – Lime juice.
Two measures of sweet – Sugar Syrup (Flavored like Cherry or Strawberry if you prefer)
Three measures of Strong – the Rum of YOUR choice.
Four measures of weak – usually means ice or some seltzer or tonic water.
Enjoy your Jamaican Rum Punch … and “Give Thanks.”)
Folks from across the globe occasionally come and visit Jamaica, the land of wood and water. What do you love about Jamaica? Here is a video highlighting what our fellow citizens love about the island: (https://www.facebook.com/winston.steele.12/videos/2074001189282305/)